Friday, October 24, 2008

John's in Rome.

One month in. There was a lot of wonder and awe the first 3 weeks but this week, humanity – their enemy, has finally crept in. On one level it’s hard to believe because we’re in The Cinque Terre, the place where, “it’s impossible to take a bad picture.” Yet, here we are, getting all human. It’s an inevitable shame. Travel anywhere with anyone for this long and all the scenery and gelato in the world won’t prevent it. So, adjustments are made, pace is slowed and tours are cancelled for the sake of the kids. But mostly, understanding is deepened recognizing castles and cathedrals do not interest all, especially the cave explorers and swimmers. Learning to forsake history's past for the the present has been a good lesson for me this trip. Anyways, that’s my part in the humanity.

Tomorrow we’re head for Rome. Over the next 2 weeks, we’ll spend 4 days there as part of a Mediterranean Cruise (we are shamefully longing for). Our friend Becky Hammond will be joining us too which will be great. The cruise couldn’t have come at a better time. We’re not cruisey people but after 5 weeks with 7 backpacks, 4 outfits and 0 hotels, an all you can sit, eat, enjoy, floating pleasure island will be fantastic. Back to Rome though. I’ve wanted to go ever since, as a fourteen year old, I realized I loved ancient history. I have spent hundreds of hours leisurely reading about Julius and the Caesars of Ancient Rome. I say leisurely because Angie is always bugging me because I read “textbooks???, why would you want to read textbooks, and for fun?” So, to think that over the next few weeks I’m going to actually walk where the Caesars walked (and murdered), behold the Forum, Pantheon and Colloseum, see the actual chains that held the Apostle Peter and the prison that held Paul, wander through the catacombs, tour the Vatican and other ancient museums and oh yeah gaze upon the glory of the Sistine Chapel, David, Moses and everything else Michelangelo, I can barely contain my excitement. Plus I hear there's more pizza and gelato here.

Angie has graciously given me the green light to plan everything Rome (while at the same time reminding me that I will have a family which includes some pretty young kids tagging along, ha) so over the next 24 hours I have to painfully pick and choose, what to see and WHAT NOT TO SEE?? ARRGGH. The truth is, we’ll probably only have enough time to see everything listed above quickly which means I’ll be flipping my coin in the Trevi Fountain. (The legend goes if you throw a coin in the fountain it will insure your return trip to Rome) Anyways, we’ve all had parts of the trip we’re especially looking forward to and Rome is definitely mine. That being said, Florence, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Naples and Pompeii (Maddie’s favorite) will be ok to. I guess.

John

P.S. I wrote this last night so here's a quick update. We finally arrived in Rome at 3:30pm today, met up with Becky at our hotel which is maybe a stone's throw away from the entrance to the Vatican Museum. We showered up, not me and Becky, and then headed out for an evening Roman stroll beginning at The Forno (famous pizza place, the charge by the gram.) We were all starving so I bypassed the grams and bought pounds instead having no idea the cost. It was 7 euros, I nearly fell to my knees in worship. As we walked we chewed our slices of heaven while beholding such things as the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and oh a little place called The Pantheon. We hadn't planned to tour the Pantheon today but rounding the corner, there was the Pantheon. It was the most remarkable building these eyes have ever seen. We will tour it for real at the end of our cruise. Anways, before the Pantheon we stopped at Tre Scapilino and ate their world famous death by chocolate thing. Haha, I'm exhausted and can't remember the title but it was 5 euros per piece and the best 5 I've ever spent. TS boasts its chocolate thing is the best in the world and it is. I can't even describe to you how delicious it was, but its just behind the Pantheon so we're going back. Oh yes, we are. We ended our stroll, one block from the Spanish steps at one of the world's most lavish and largest McDonalds devouring hamburgers and fries for the first time in 5 weeks. After we finished Alexa looked up and said "this was my favourite part of Rome." I smiled at her, called her a blasphemer then spanked her right then and there.

Anyways, our mile long stroll through Rome was incredible and my eyes got misty more than once as I beheld this magnificent city I have only seen in my dreams. This time tomorrow we will be on a gigantic floating island scoping out the Meditteranean for 12 days. Italy, Greece, Turkey then ending with 3 days in Rome where I'll wander in awe once more. I've said to the kids that these will be some if not the best days of their life. I hope they are. John's in Rome. AHHHHHHH!!!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

I am so excited for you little brother. Enjoy every moment. Love you all!!

Anonymous said...

That was a very long and entertaining "PS". We love hearing about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

lol, we showered, not me and becky.
nice touch.

good read though johnny.
good luck!

Brian said...

Hey all,

Wow! I am so happy for you guys. What an adventure. I've got lumpies in my throat just reading this stuff. Don't tell anyone.

Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy.

p.s. I can't believe how hard you can make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Have fun, and say "HI" to Captain Stubing for me! lol

Can't believe you're already one third through your incredible adventure! Take it ALL in, as I can tell you are, for before long you'll be back in COLD Canada; but then at least then you can follow your Oil more closely. (You'll definitely be missing Rome then)?!

Keep up the posts, Angie too!

Steve (of course)

Kori and the Lovely Lisa said...

glad you guys made it to Rome. I am sure you will embrace your time. Wandering through the streets of Rome is always open for adventure. Eat some pasta for this guy.
Kori