Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'm...sort of...going...crazy

Our house is missing half it's furniture and yet it looks like the gross back end of Value Village. I can hardly move as I sort things into the BC pile, trip pile, need for the next two weeks pile and throw away pile (this one is shamefully large). On top of that I'm booking, reconfirming, organizing, ordering, routing, reading, memorizing and all the other things you do when you go somewhere farther than Medicine Hat. Plus trying to teach the kids about cool things like Cathedrals and Roman history so they can appreciate a gothic window or a colosseum when they see one for crying out loud. Wow. I'm no fun at all right now! Oh, and then I start thinking about how I don't want to be homeless when we come back, so there's that, and will Rusty's new owners remember how he likes to sleep on his fuzzy brown blanket and should I try to keep that new package of noodles?

But then, on some twisted level, even parts of this crazy pre-trip mess are totally fun. Every morning we do our can't-believe-it dance when we tear off another page of the count down calender. Every few days we get a package in the mail from England or Spain with all their pamphlets and train routes and tons of stuff we'll never be able to read. Today we got our French and Spanish phrase books from Amazon (and Rick Steves, bless his little travellin' heart) and, as always, we opened the door before the mail guy even reached our stairs, way too many kids and too much chipper-ness for 9am. Poor mail guy. And things will just hit me- like how I'll stand in front of actual prehistoric cave paintings and walk where Caesar walked and sleep in a monastery- are you kidding me??? Yeah, it's still very, very fun.

On another note, the kids and I tried the garage sale for the second time and made $53. John said we wouldn't make anything. Ha. We shared a mozza burger and bought travelling shoes for Maddie and Ethan. So accomplishment is a pretty good feeling right now, too.

But if I don't get to the phone (I'm looking at a lot of missed calls on my display right now!) don't take it personally. Just know that I'm buried in a pile of boxes and travel books, probably cross-eyed and with my tongue hanging out. Maybe even drooling, I don't know.

15 DAYS!!!!

Angie

No comments: